Please send us your prayer intentions to participate in the creation of this work.

"The Relic of the Communion of Saints"

1438 S Vaughn Cir

Aurora, CO 80012


Communion of Saints

Communion of Saints

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ora et Labora: Day 6

6/5/10



Rather than just casting I decided to make some more progress today on the fabrication of “The Relic of the Communion of Saints” by starting work on the large beads. I made a positive and I’m letting it set up for a couple of days (as I’m taking tomorrow off since it’s Sunday) before I make a mold of it (not to mention I need to buy some plaster.) I have to admit I get a really strong fish vibe from it right now, but then again I did when I made the positive for the small bead too, once the form is repeated and connected I’m confident it will lose whatever fishy tendencies it may have.
Since I found a few materials as I was cleaning out our storage area today I was also inspired to begin making the prayer intention book that I hope to accompany “The Relic of the Communion of Saints”. It certainly has a very “handmade” feel to it, but right now, as it is yet unfinished, I’m afraid that reads more as “ugly.” However, I hope to change that once the canvass gets a nice coat of gesso and then an even nicer coat of beautiful paint. I have yet to decide whether I will paint it myself or if I should ask a talented painter friend of mine (www.gwynethholston.com) to contribute in this way toward the work.
Today’s exploration of the Catechism, “The Way of Prayer” gave quite a bit of reference to the Church Triumphant’s role in the Communion of Saints:

- The witnesses who have preceded us into the kingdom share in the living tradition of prayer by the example of their lives, the transmission of their writings, and their prayer today. They contemplate God, praise him and constantly care for those whom they have left on earth. When they entered into the joy of their Master, they were "put in charge of many things." Their intercession is their most exalted service to God's plan. We can and should ask them to intercede for us and for the whole world.

But I was also reminded that as the Church rightfully celebrates prayer in the sacred space of a church so too should the domestic church set aside a place that, “can be a "prayer corner" with the Sacred Scriptures and icons, in order to be there, in secret, before our Father. In a Christian family, this kind of little oratory fosters prayer in common.” I am often shamed by the fact that rather than not having a special place set aside such as this, instead I neglect the beautiful space that we have created. Honestly, I haven’t used the little prayer space we set up for our family in… months. That is, until today. Yet again God used Charlotte to compel my prayer life to mature as I picked her up while she fussed and was suddenly compelled to kneel down in front of our little “shrine” and pray with my daughter to our Father. From here on out I will try to spend at least a portion of my time in prayer for the petitions of “The Relic of the Communion of Saints” at this special place in our home.
My recitation of Psalm 6 today really did a number on driving the point of praying every chance we get before it is too late, “For there is no one in death that is mindful of thee: and who shall confess to thee in hell?”

Tonight, enjoy the graces of the Joyful Mysteries and tomorrow, since I will not be posting, enjoy both the graces of the Glorious Mysteries of the rosary as well as the most powerful graces of my participation in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for you, your families and your intentions.

Today’s Prayer Intentions:
- For Eli that he may grow in holiness by living out his vocation of obedience to his parents
- For freedom from vanity
- That Dave’s father may be healed through the intercession of Solanus Casey and that he may be made a great saint when God calls him home.
- For Blessings on Jenny’s marriage preparations
- For an increase in vocations to the priesthood, especially to the Oblates of the Virgin Mary
- O saving Victim, opening wide the gate of Heaven to us below; Our foes press hard on every side; Your aid supply; Your strength bestow. To your great name be endless praise, Immortal Godhead, One in Three. O grant us endless length of days, In our true native land with thee. Amen.
- For the past, present and future intentions and salvation of all those who participate in prayer or proximity to “The Relic of the Communion of Saints”

No comments:

Post a Comment